Welcome to our website. Please peruse the site, comments and queries are appreciated. Should you be in the area on a Sunday, please drop in and join us in a worship service. We love to have guests....all are welcome.
We look to the example of the God who became human in Jesus Christ, abolishing the distinction between religion and the world. As Bonhoeffer preached, religion is dispensable, God is not: “Not religion, but revelation, not a religious community, but the church; that is what the reality of Jesus Christ means” (Communio 1963, 112). Later, having witnessed the utter failure of the church as a religious institution to act on behalf of the oppressed Jews, he followed Christ out of the church into the world. Only those who live fully in the world have a claim to follow Christ. The God of religion whom we seek to call into the world on our behalf, has already entered the world in the form of a suffering God. The “worldliness” of Christianity is not our invention, but our calling.
"We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us—and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does God’s love abide in anyone who has the world’s goods and sees a brother or sister in need and yet refuses help? Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action." 1 John 3.16-18
The mission of the Anglican Diocese of Western Newfoundland is to worship and serve God by following Christ, using and sharing the gifts of the Holy Spirit. 1 Peter: 2.5 says: “like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” We are living and moving by the grace of God and so we entrust this ministry to God that we will be guided by the Holy Spirit to do the will of our Creator. (From the Diocese Mission and Strategic Plan)
Newfoundland was the location of a collision between the tectonic plates of the New and Old worlds, about 400 million years ago. This forced up some of the immense highlands in western Newfoundland, still seen in original glory around Gros Morne. Over the past 300 million years, the upheavals that created the Appalachian Mountain reach this far north. Repeated glacial scouring over the past two million years has resulted in various forms of glacial scarring and the province's typically rounded hilltops. The Island had Beotuk Indians, though they move inland to avoid European settles, and became extinct back in 1828. Dorset Eskimos settled in a number of locations along the coast, including at Cape Ray. While the plant life in Newfoundland is pretty similar to the Mainland's, only 14 species of mammals were able to cross the side waters around the island, and several of those are now extinct. Moose were only introduced to the province in 1904 and chipmunks in 1962.
Port aux Basques started as a fishing village in the 1500s, as were many other communities along the south and west coasts of the Island. Port aux Basques was the western end of the Newfoundland railway dating back to 1898. After the Trans-Canada Highway was built across the island, rail passenger service was replaced by bus service in 1968, and the rail system was shut down in 1988. The railways right of way has been converted to the T'Railway recreational pathway which forms the eastern-most portion of the Trans Canada Trail. A Marine Atlantic ferry terminal is located in the town which is the primary entry point onto the island of Newfoundland and the western terminus of the Trans-Canada Highway in the province. The Ferries connect from Channel Port-aux-Basques to North Sydney, Nova Scotia year-round, usually twice a day. The town was incorporated in 1945 and its population in the 2011 census was 4,170. Port aux Basques is the oldest of the collection of towns that make up the present-day town, which consists of Port aux Basques, Channel, Grand Bay, and Mouse Island. Amalgamation took place in the 1970s.
This was a fishing station for the French, Portuguese and Basques since the early 1500's and was named by the Basque fishermen who used this as a shelter in storms and a base for their fishing and exploration Channel-Port aux Basques, which is an ice-free port facing the Gulf of St. Lawrence, made it the logical choice for the western terminus of the Newfoundland Railway, which ran from the Avalon Peninsula to the Exploits River by 1893 and was extended in 1898 to Channel - Port aux Basques to connect with a steamer that would connect with the railway schedule, three days a week. The southwestern portion of the Trans-Canada lies in the Coastal Barrens eco-zone, with much exposed rock covered with fragile lichens in high areas and bog and heath in shallow areas (where they can accumulate to a depth of 2 to 20 feet. Forests in the sheltered valleys protect growths of blueberries, as well as ptarmigans and partridges. In the marshy areas, you can find tasty marshberries and bakeapples, as well as flowering plants like the sundew and bladderworts, and carnivorous plants like the pitcher plant (the provincial flower). Caribou are attracted to the lichen as well as kelp lying along the shoreline.
The west end of the Island is secured by the Long Range of mountains, which continues north to St Anthony's near the Labrador coastline. Near Port aux Basques is the 518 metres (1680 foot) Table Mountain, has had measured winds of over 160 km/hr. At Barchois Provinical Park, you can see caribou, the rare Newfoundland pine marten, chipmunks, six species of woodpeckers, as well as several species of orchids. The Grand Codroy River, is the southernmost salmon river crossing the Trans-Canada, with the annual migration in early June, well before other salmon rivers in the province.